Blog post 6

Yoga is considered as a healing practice by many. Practicing yoga speaks to us in a way that relieves inequalities in the body, whether psychological or physiological, or both. Personally, beginning with the sacredness of my bedroom, my practice space leads to the therapeutic element of yoga. My room is my refuge where at any point in time, as long as I am there, I feel protected and feel as I like. A good way to begin the process of healing is to feel relaxed and secure. Here, I can be as quiet or as loud as I would like. My room has minimal sound when performing yoga, maybe nothing but a fan and the voice of the teachers. In this way, I can focus on my body and the directions given. Only having the ability to focus is what kick starts my yogic healing process. The teacher reminds us of our breath during practice and the manner in which unique postures assist in the healing process. In various ways, they relate to this process, such as the release of stress in the part of the body being stretched, the relaxation of our muscles during an exhale, or the extraction of impurities from our sweat production. Healing is often expressed to me in a spiritual way as part of class practice. Mantras are often spoken at the end of a session. Chanting helps to bind the mind and body to a higher force after the actual healing of the body through practice, in a way that substantiates the healing that just took place. I can sense the difference in my body and my psyche once yoga practice is over. My body feels lighter and I feel happy, just like I've finished drinking some soothing tea. The move to this state is a good way for me to start, and also to finish, my day. It seems that the physical stresses and mental anxieties I built up before practice are melting away. Afterwards, I can start with a clear mind and a body on a clean slate that feels resilient and ready to take on the day ahead or the day there.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2

Weekly Practice Journal

Blog 11