Blog 8

 Today's yoga session was supervised by Jen Kretzer, who practiced shivananda. As I am a visual learner and perfectionist, I was relieved that she practiced with us while simultaneously facilitating the lesson. Because of this I was confident of performing my pose. This was my first time doing shivananda practice. I was exposed to new facets of yoga such as methods of pranayama that I had not realized existed as the open/close breathing of the nostril. I can honestly say that it is my favorite so far, now that I have encountered shivananda. I'm not sure if it was this kind of yoga itself or Jen's teaching, or both, but I was  interested in the class. To further explore my new found choice, I am interested in taking another shivananda class. I appreciated the cohesion of the series in which we practiced. Jen started the technique of pranayama, followed by a warm up. This time around the feeling of easing into the exercise allowed for a stronger quality of experience. Next were asanas done in repetitions and asanas meant to stretch, soothe, and relax soon afterwards. Throughout the session, I enjoyed the intermittent "corpse pose." The class was taught at a pace for beginners, but this helped me keep up by recovering a few breaths and allowing my body to rest because at the moment my stamina is not the best. Jen did an excellent job of approaching our yoga session as a lesson for beginners. With each pose she listed modifications, she gave tips on how to injure yourself, and the advantages that come with unique asanas. She recommended simple asanas that helped to increase my heart rate. I would characterize her teaching style as being bold, yet enjoyable. She spontaneously introduced us to the headstand by giving us hints on how to begin the execution process. Other positions were added, such as backbends, which made me even more relaxed as I am familiar with them as a gymnast from my past. Overall, I liked how she went outside of the box, but her audience was still welcoming. Her style of energy and teaching led to my new understanding of practicing shivananda.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2

Weekly Practice Journal

Blog 11